Whether you’re recovering from the night before or simply unwinding after a tiring week at the office, there is nothing like spending your Sunday afternoon curled up on the sofa with your favourite Netflix series and some serious comfort food. Yet when Monday morning rolls around, many of us are left feeling guilty after a late night chocolate binge, disappointed to have ruined a whole week’s hard work.
However, this Snickers Ice Cream recipe may taste decadent, it is free from refined sugar and contains only natural ingredients. By combining sweet bananas, gooey caramel dates, the crunch of salted peanuts and a liberal drizzle of chocolate it’s all the fun of a delicious Snickers ice cream bar… but good for you.
So indulge the healthy way this weekend and whip up this frozen dessert to give your family or loved one a well-deserved treat. We promise you even the kids will love it!
Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
- 4 small frozen bananas
- 4 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 3-4 chopped dates
- a handful of peanuts and cacao nibs or dark chocolate chunks
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 3 tbsp granulated stevia or sweetener of choice
- 50ml almond milk
- pinch of salt
– Chop up your bananas and place them in the freezer overnight.
– First, combine your cacao powder, stevia and salt in a saucepan on a very low heat. Stir together and heat gently until all ingredients are well combined and a smooth chocolate sauce has formed. Take this off the heat, pour it into a bowl and leave it in the fridge to cool slightly whilst you make your ice cream.
– Place your frozen bananas into a food processor or high powered blender and start to blend. As the bananas begin to break down into small chunks, scrape down the sides. This takes some patience but it will start to blend together nicely.
– Add in your peanut butter and blend until a smooth, thick ice cream texture begins to form.
– Once you are happy that all of your banana is blended, stir through your chopped peanuts, cacao nibs and dates before serving in bowls. Take your chocolate sauce out of the fridge, give it a quick stir and drizzle liberally over your ice cream for the ultimate Snickers ice cream treat.
By Kathryn Armitage